Honestly, movies are something that I really love.
But going to a cinema/movie theatre is something that I don`t really like – because the seats are often too soft for me (sounds ridiculous, but that`s the way it is), so in the past I often fell asleep during screening. And it was not any movie`s fault 😉
But last monday I did it:
I went to the cinema (and luckily the seat was not too soft) – and I can`t remember when it was the last time I went to cinema till this day. Maybe it was Peter Jackson´s “Lord of the Rings – The Return of the King”.
By the way “Peter Jackson”:
Yes, it is the new Peter Jackson-movie “Mortal Engines” that made me go to cinema. And for those who don`t know so far, the director of this movie is Christian Rivers. Mr. Jackson is producer and co-writer of this film.
The last 12 months after seeing the first teaser and later the trailers, I got more and more interested in this story. I haven`t read yet the books (written by Philip Reeve), but I will do this.
So after reading so many bad reviews and critiques about “Mortal Engines”, I was in the mood for watching this in cinema and to form my own opinion about it.
The first teaser:
I don`t want to write much about the movie, so in short (without spoilers!):
I really, really enjoyed it! And I want to watch this again & again & again & again…!
– a loud and quickly movie
– funny and a funride
– great set design
– great visual production design
– Movie is the first book of Philip Reeve`s 4 books (and it derserves to make a franchise of it)
– great actors
The weakness of “Mortal Engines”:
– rather weak dialogues (made me a bit smiling, because the structure reminded me of teenager-movies in the 1980s)
– weak character-painting (but every character is interesting, so I want to know & see more of them)
– film-editing is often too quick (so it`s not really possible to immerse yourself in this stunning future steampunk world, characters, story & the great visuals – maybe there`s a chance for an extended version?)
– movie runtime is much too short! It was 128 minutes, I think, and it did not feel like 2 hours.
I give this movie 9 of 10 points/stars.
Dear Universal, dear Peter Jackson, dear Christian Rivers!
So please, please make a huge and very, very long extended version of this movie! This story deserves it!
And please, please, please make the sequel “Predator`s Gold”. I think there is a chance to make the second “Mortal Engines”-movie better – and if it has to be an overlength film. No matter! Do it, please!